It is a fact of life that everyone gets hurt or becomes ill at some point. Unfortunately, many injuries or illnesses happen at work, which can create a stressful situation for the victim and his or her family. So what do you do if you are injured at work or develop a work-related medical problem? Here is some advice from The Law Offices of Dennis R. Fusi & Associates in Lakewood, California.

What to Do After a Work-Related Injury or Illness

If you suffer a work-related injury or develop a work-related illness, there are a few things that you need to do.

These include:

Notify Your Supervisor Immediately

After any work-related injury or illness, you should notify your supervisor immediately. Do so in writing if possible. Most states require you to notify your supervisor within a certain period of time. In California, you have 30 days to report the injury to your employer. It is recommended that you report it as soon as possible in order to preserve your rights and ability to file a workers’ compensation claim.

Get Medical Treatment

If you are injured or become ill at work, you should seek medical treatment immediately. Tell your doctor that the injury or illness is work-related so it can be documented on your medical records. Never downplay your symptoms or write them off as something other than what they are. This can prolong your recovery and create obstacles in obtaining the benefits you deserve.

File a Workers’ Compensation Claim

A workers’ compensation claim is like most insurance claims. You will complete certain paperwork and return it to your employer. Your employer will then submit your claim to the Workers’ Compensation Office. Make sure that you and your employer complete the forms properly and make a copy before submitting them

When to Contact an Attorney

If your employer refuses to file a workers’ compensation claim, denies your injury, or the insurance company denies your claim, contact an attorney immediately. As an employee, you have the right to workers’ compensation benefits. You also have the right to appeal a denial or take action if your employer does not follow his or her legal duties.